Sunday, October 30, 2016

Fair Play

    My 2G champs had another exciting month with Arianne Jones, learning about the importance of Fair Play. Arianne’s video was an awesome introduction to the topic. Arianne broke fair play into three key components: Honesty, Respect and Team Spirit/Sportsmanship. Once the video was done, we looked at those three areas more closely as a class and brainstormed how those three things look in their everyday world. Students began to understand, more and more, how the idea of fair play does not just encompass sports or games on the playground and gym, but in everyday life when interacting with their peers in class, family, and within their communities.

    Throughout the rest of the month, we read books and stories that played on the key areas of fair play that Arianne discussed in her video. Such books, included the importance of leadership, following the rules, honesty and the importance of work together. These books were: Charlene’s Choice by Linda Sky Grossman, Following the Rules by Robin Nelson, Being a Leader by Robin Nelson and Brady Brady and the Most Important Game by Mary Shaw. These books allowed us to extend the student’s knowledge of the topic through literature. Students wrote responses about their favorite part of these books and why. With further knowledge in hand, my kiddos wanted to share what they learned with the school and did so by making posters and sharing them at assembly when sharing with the whole school who their mentor was this year. 


 

 Some of their posters up close....


 




  









 Moreover, Arianne challenged us to write stories or perform skits to show what fair play is. My kids took to writing in pairs and some did so alone. Some wrote stories, while others wrote about what fair play meant to them. This exercise was awesome! All my students were excited to write and it was another way they demonstrated their strong knowledge on the topic.






    Lastly, one key and pivotal “aha” moment was when our class went skating at the local arena. In my class, my students come from various skill levels of skating from figure skaters and hockey players, students who go once in awhile with their families on the weekend, to students who had never put skates on their feet before. It was truly amazing and heartwarming to see these little champions look out for one another on the ice. Friends who play hockey and figure skate, were helping their classmates who struggled to stand up. When discussing the field trip at the end of the day and commenting how proud I was of them, they said they were just showing fair play!
 


 

It was such an awesome month! We can't wait to start Community next!

Curriculum Outcomes Addressed:
  • I communicate my understanding of new ideas and information by making connections to what I know.
  • I choose from a variety of texts to develop new understanding of various topics.
  • I consider the ideas of others to enhance my understanding.
  • I choose, retell and connect important details from what I read, see and hear.
  • I use a variety of strategies and processes to create my own writing.
  • I engage in physical activity to acquire skills, gain health benefits, interact positively with others and take responsibility for an active lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment